AARP Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) by Medicare Part D helps beneficiaries pay for medicines that come with a doctor’s prescription. This is usually offered by private insurance companies affiliated with Medicare, such as United Healthcare.
AARP Medicare Prescription Drug Plans covers all kinds of medicines commonly prescribed by doctors, as required by law. However, each plan has a different formulary (the list of drugs carried by each plan). For example, all plans include medicines for lowering cholesterol level, but each plan carries different brand names and generic drugs that serve this purpose. It is important to make sure that you fully understand each PDP’s formulary before choosing one.
There are also some kinds of drugs that are not covered in AARP Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, such as non-prescription drugs, anorexia drugs, weight loss drugs, fertility drugs, medicine for erectile dysfunction, and most prescription vitamins and minerals (excluding prenatal vitamins and minerals).
About United Healthcare
United Healthcare is a health and well-being company that promotes healthier lives through simplified health care. The company also fosters alliances with health care providers to ensure superior healthcare service. United Healthcare offers clients a wide range of health benefits for employers, individuals, Medicaid beneficiaries, and Medicare beneficiaries. The company has contracts with 6,000 hospitals and 820,000 doctors and medical care professionals. United Healthcare serves about 45 million people. It is part of the UnitedHealth Group – a Fortune 50 health and well-being organization.
How to Find Medicare Prescription Drug Plans in Your Area
Before searching for a Medicare PDP in your area, be sure to have a valid email account ready, as well as an online banking account for payments. Also have your Medicare insurance information handy.
- Pull up your browser and go to the AARP Medicare Prescription Drug Plans home page (see first link below).
- Hover your mouse pointer over the “Our Plans” button at the top of the page.
- Click “View Plans and Pricing” under “Medicare Prescription Drug Plans”.
- You will see the Medicare Prescription Drug Plan page. Click the “Enrolment Information” tab.
- Provide your ZIP code, and then click “Find Plans”.
- A pop-up will appear giving you the option to view the details of available plans in your area.
- Select a plan and click “Enroll Now”.
- You will then see the page containing information on your chosen PDP. Click “Next Step”.
- You will have to provide beneficiary information, as well as your Medicare insurance information. Click “Next Step”.
- Provide additional information, and then click “Next Step”.
- Review your application, and make adjustments as needed.
- Submit your application, and then complete it as instructed by the website.
AARP Medicare Prescription Drug Plans Home – www.aarpmedicarerx.com
AARP Medicare Prescription Drug Plans Resource Page – www.aarpmedicareplans.com/health-plans/prescription-drug-plans/resources.html
AARP Medicare Prescription Drug Plans Toll-Free Number – 1-866-310-0761 (TTY 711)