There are a number of unclaimed properties listed under the State Controller’s Office, amounting to over $6.9 billion, all of them belonging to around 24.9 million people and organizations. These properties have not been claimed for different reasons, such as the death of the sole owner.
About the California Unclaimed Property Database
The California Unclaimed Property Database contains information on all the properties that have been claimed by the state due to the holder’s loss of contact from the owner after three years. This may be because of the death of the owner where there is no family to report the death or the family may not be aware about the presence of the property. It is also possible for the owner to forget that such an account exists, or the owner may have moved and failed to leave a valid forwarding address. These properties include certificates of deposit, bank accounts, stocks, mutual funds and similar investments, estates, or mineral interests, among others.
How to Search through the California Unclaimed Property Database
If you have properties to claim, you can check the database that the State Controller’s Office maintains.
- Visit the official website of the State Controller’s Office using the link provided below.
- Look for the link that says “search our Unclaimed Property Database” in the last paragraph of the web page’s text.
- Click on the link to open up the Unclaimed Property Search page.
- Tick on the button beside the choice that best describes your search. You can choose among Individual Owner Search, Business/Government Search, or Property ID Search.
- If you have chosen Individual Owner Search, type in the last name of the owner on the space provided below. You can add the first name, middle initial, and the city to narrow down your search.
- If you have chosen Business/Government Search, type in the business/government name. You can add the city to narrow down your search.
- If you have chosen Property ID Search, enter the property ID on the space provided below.
- Once the details have been typed in, click on the “search” button.
- The page will display the list of properties that correspond to your search. Check if any of the results match what you are looking for, and take note of the details.
State Controller’s Office homepage – www.claimit.ca.gov
Unclaimed Property FAQs – https://sco.ca.gov/upd_faq.html
Unclaimed Property Division Call Center – (800) 992 4647 or (916) 323 2827