Benefits provided by the state to people who have lost their jobs as a result of layoffs are called unemployment compensation. The money is intended to provide a temporary source of income for laid-off workers until they can find work. To qualify, certain requirements must be met by the unemployed worker: the person must have worked in a company for a pre-determined period and is actively searching for employment. The compensation serves as a partial income replacement until the worker finds a new job. For qualified workers in the state of Florida, the FDEO handles unemployment compensation.
About Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (FDEO)
In 2011, Governor Rick Scott and the Florida legislature reorganized the state’s system for economic development. As part of the restructure, the Department of Economic Opportunity was created. This agency’s work is to coordinate and streamline Florida’s numerous economic policies, services, and programs.
How to File an Unemployment Compensation Claim at FDEO
The unemployment compensation at DEO is also called the Reemployment Assistance Insurance. To claim, you need to:
- Go to FDEO Claim Process page by clicking on the link below.
- Click the “CONNECT” link under the “Steps to File a Reemployment Assistance Claim.” The link will redirect you to CONNECT, Florida’s Reemployment Assistance system. Note that there are two categories posted on CONNECT. One is for New Claimant, the other is for Existing Claimant.
- If you’re a new applicant, click the “File a New Claim” link. It will direct you to the Reemployment Assistance Initial Claim Submit Process page. Carefully read the itemized guidelines about new claims. Once done, click the “Start the Reemployment Assistance Application” button.
- If you’re already an existing claimant, proceed to the Existing Claimant Login box. Type in your login information and click the “Login” button. You will be directed to the Reemployment Assistance Initial Claim Submit Process page as well. Click the “Start the Reemployment Assistance Application” button.
- Read the Reemployment Assistance Fraud and acknowledge that you understand the statement by ticking the box at the bottom of the page.
- Go through the Information Checklist. Click, “Next.”
- Read and understand the “Privacy Act Statement.” Click “Yes” if you have read and agreed with the statement. Then, click “Next.”
- Fill in the Claimant Authentication form. Provide personal information like your Social Security Number, complete name, birth date and gender. If you have a driver’s license, card details will be required as well. Check the information for accuracy and then click “Submit.”
- The next page is dedicated for your employment history. Enter the required information and then click the “Submit” button.
- Review all your forms. Once the forms are ready to go, hit “Submit.”
FDEO Claim Process Page: www.fluidnow.com
Reemployment Assistance Homepage: www.floridajobs.org