GameStop allows you to purchase consoles, games, and other devices and gaming accessories online.
GameStop specializes in consumer electronics, video game, and wireless services retailing. It all started in Dallas, Texas, when Gary Kusin and James McCurry, who were classmates at Harvard, founded a software retailing business called Babbage’s. One of their earliest investors was Ross Perot, who helped them open their first store at the North Park Centre. The Atari 2600 was dominating the gaming scene at that time, and their sales were mostly because of this. They eventually began selling Nintendo games as well. They company then went public in 1988, and by 1991, two thirds of their entire sales were from video games. Babbage’s went into a merger with Software Etc. in 1994, forming the NeoStar Retail Group. Kusin decided to resign in 1995 so that he can start his own cosmetics company. Babbage’s and Software Etc. continued merging their units despite the fact that sales were rapidly declining. In September of that same year, NeoStar filed for bankruptcy. Leonard Riggio, one of Software Etc’s founders, bought all of NeoStar’s assets for $58.5 million. He was also one of the principal stockholders of Barnes & Noble. He created a new holding company called Babbage’s Etc., and launched GameStop as one of their brands in 1999. Barnes & Noble bought Babbage’s Etc. in 1999 and continued acquiring similar businesses. By 2002, they made GameStop public. Today, it owns and operates 6,457 stores in North America, New Zealand, Australia and Europe. J. Paul Raines is the current CEO.
How to Register for an Online Account with GameStop
You can register for an online account with GameStop by following these steps:
- Visit the GameStop website by clicking on the link provided below.
- On the upper right part of the homepage, you will see a tab that says “Sign In Your Account”. Under it, click on the link that says “New Customer”.
- Type in your email address at the space provided.
- Create a password you want to use to log into your account. Retype this password on the space that says “Confirm Password”. Make sure you follow the guidelines stated on the right side of the space.
- You can also check the box provided if you want to receive emails about offers, ads, and other updates from GameStop.
- Click on the box that says “Create Account”.
- Now that your account has been registered, you can change some of your personal details. Otherwise, you can proceed to buy their products using your account.
GameStop Website – www.gamestop.com
GameStop Hotline – 1-800-883-8895