There are games like Skyrim or the more recent Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild that offer hundreds of hours of gameplay. However, even the most dedicated gamer will want to play something new at some point. For buying new games, there are retailers like Walmart and Target that carry new releases. However, these stores have a limited selection of video games. Thus, many customers find themselves heading to the nearest Gamestop – the biggest video game retailer in the United States.
Gamestop is not just for buying games because you may also trade in used games and accessories, and can be used towards your purchases. Plus, they have a fairly good rewards program called Gamestop PowerUp Rewards. In this article, we’ll walk you through on how to make an account and what to expect from your membership.
Setting Up a New Gamestop Account
If you don’t want to miss out on some rewards and other perks, it’s in your best interest to create a Gamestop account. With a Gamestop account, you can keep track of all your purchases, including digital downloads Plus, members are also eligible for rewards that include some cool gaming stuff. To create your account, simply head over to the Gamestop website, register your email and create a password. Make sure that you use a valid email address as it will double as your username.
Gamestop also offers another membership called Gamestop PowerUp Rewards for those who want to take it to another level.
What is Gamestop PowerUp Rewards?
PowerUp Rewards is Gamestop’s very own rewards program. For members, every dollar spent when buying games and accessories will earn them points. These points can then be used to redeem cool prizes like Xbox Live or PSN credits, comic books, game posters, gift cards, accessories, action figures, game merchandise, magazines and many more.
On top of that, members can also access exclusive Gamestop deals and discounts, invitations to sales and events, and unlock codes for in-game content. The rewards catalog is always changing, so it’s best to constantly check if you’re a member.
How to Join PowerUp Rewards
Unlike with creating a Gamestop account, you will need to stop by your local participating Gamestop to join this reward program. Just head over there and talk to an associate that you’d like to sign up for the PowerUp Rewards program. Once you have signed up for an account, you can manage your accounts online and personalize your reward experience. Make sure that you activate the loyalty card that you’ll get for a lot of points.
Now, here’s where it gets interesting. There are three levels of being a PowerUp Rewards member: Player, Pro, and Elite Pro. The free Player membership enables you to earn points for every dollar spent, access exclusive monthly offers and receive birthday deals. Now, you are probably asking…
Is it Worth Going Pro or Elite Pro?
The best answer that we can come up with is: it depends. Users who consistently buy games and trade-in their old ones will find a lot of value to going Pro or even Elite Pro. For starters, both the Pro and Elite Pro will get all the perks that come with the free membership. The only difference is that the exclusive monthly offers for both premium membership will amount to $50 of value.
The Pro membership also gets you the following:
- Buy 2 Get 1 Free Pre-Owned Games offer
- 10% off on all used games and accessories
- 10% additional trade credit
- 12 issues of Game Informer gaming magazine (digital or print)
- Access to Gamestop Pro Day sales
The Elite Pro gets all the benefits of Pro members with some notable differences:
- 20% off on all pre-owned games and accessories
- 20% added trade credit
- Welcome offer of collectibles
- Free 2-day shipping on orders of $35 or more
Pro membership will cost you an annual fee of $14.99, while Elite Pro membership goes for $29.99 per year.
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Membership
Here are some quick tips to get the most value out of your rewards membership.
- Consider Your Buying Habits: The premium PowerUp Rewards might look amazing at first glance but their true value will ultimately depend on your buying habits. If you are consistently buying and trading pre-owned games, that 10% or 20% discount will pay the fee with just a few transactions. Even with small purchases, the savings can really add up over the year. If you’re not buying or trading that many games, it’s best to skip the paid membership.
- Follow Gamestop on Twitter and Facebook: This is to keep yourself updated with all offers, sales, and other promotions. On top of that, Gamestop also offers opportunities to earn more points by simply performing actions like watching game trailers, taking surveys, engaging with partners and more.
Bring on the Rewards and Savings
Even if you don’t plan to avail of the premium memberships, signing up for the free Gamestop rewards program is still worth it. However, if you’re a big fan of games and already shopping at Gamestop, the Pro memberships will earn you a lot of value that will pay for itself.
Looking for more information about other rewards program on the web? Be sure to visit OurGeeks.com for a comprehensive guide on how to take advantage of rewards or loyalty programs online.