There are several obstacles that people come across when trying to get their social security. Two of these obstacles include the fact that sometimes the social security offices are far from where you are and it is expensive to travel to and from it, or that the queue at the office may be too long for you to wait for your turn.
To curb these hindrances, the easiest way to apply for social security is through the internet or online. This is very convenient since you can do it from the comfort of your home and you can even make arrangements for any appointments that may be required.
Social Security Benefits you are entitled to
Social comes from the word society. Therefore, social security has to do with benefits that accrue to persons in the society that need them. There are many needs in any society and it is important that most of these needs are met. They are basically provided by Social Security Administration and they are of various types. A good example is medicare benefits that are provided to people who need medical services. When you are applying for these social benefits, you will need to specify the type you are in need of.
As stated earlier, the beauty of applying for these services online is the ability to do it without any hassle from the comfort of our house.
How do you apply for Social Security Benefits Online?
- A computer with internet access as well as a functioning printer.
- These services can only be accessed at specific times and you, therefore, need to be available at these times. If you are going to access the benefits between Mondays to Friday, the time is 5 a.m. -1 a.m. On Saturday as well as holidays, the time for this is 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. On Sunday, the time is 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Retirements or spouse benefits require the beneficiary to be at least 61 years old plus 9 months. Furthermore, this application needs to be made 4 months prior to receiving these benefits.
- If you are 65 years old, you are entitled to both three types of benefits. You can get medicare benefits as well as retirement/spouse benefits. However, you can just apply for the medicare benefits alone.
- You will need to provide your Adult Disability Report in order to receive disability benefits.
- These benefits are only entitled to citizens of the United States who do not have a problem with receiving the benefits through financial institutions such as banks among others.
The following are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to www.socialsecurity.gov/onlineservices/ and Click on “Apply for benefits.”
- The link will drop down and you will see a list of benefit application available to you. Choose the type of benefit that is relevant to you and click on its link.
- You will be instructed to follow various steps and after you are done, you need to click on “Apply Now”.
- You may be required to provide some personal details relating to your earnings.
- Print out and sign on your application and mail it along with other documents as required.
Social Security Administration Homepage – http://www.ssa.gov
FAQ’s – https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/